SpaceX CEO Elon Musk said Wednesday that the company has successfully prevented the Russian military from using Starlink satellite-internet terminals that were seized in Ukraine, steps that Ukrainian officials and SpaceX described as effectively blocking unauthorized access.
Musk posted on the social platform X that SpaceX had taken action to stop Russia from using Starlink unauthorized and that the measures appear to be working so far. He encouraged users to report any issues if further action is needed.
The comments follow reports from Ukrainian authorities that Russian forces had used Starlink connectivity in recent months after capturing some terminals in occupied areas. Ukrainian officials said they briefed Musk on the issue and worked with SpaceX to develop a technical solution that denies service to devices not authorized for use in Ukraine.
Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov said Kyiv is coordinating with SpaceX to ensure only approved terminals operate on Ukrainian territory. He described the initial results as positive in countering the use of Starlink technology for hostile activities.
“Ukraine, together with Starlink, has already taken the first steps that delivered rapid results in countering Russian drones,” he wrote on X. “The next step is implementing a system that will allow only authorized terminals to operate on the territory of Ukraine.”
Starlink has been widely used in Ukraine since Russia’s full-scale invasion began in 2022, providing internet connectivity for both civilian and military communications in areas where traditional infrastructure has been damaged or disrupted.
“Looks like the steps we took to stop the unauthorized use of Starlink by Russia have worked. Let us know if more needs to be done,” Musk replied on X.
SpaceX said it does not sell Starlink services in Russia and has not conducted business with the Russian government or military. The company continues to explore ways to prevent the use of its technology by unauthorized actors.
The Starlink conflict arose after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced on Sunday that new peace talks will take place this week. Representatives from Ukraine, Russia, and the U.S. will attend.
“Ukraine is ready for a substantive discussion, and we are interested in ensuring that the outcome brings us closer to a real and dignified end to the war,” Zelenskyy wrote.
Meanwhile, President Trump and Musk appear to have mended fences after they had a brief falling out last year over DOGE cuts.
Both said they were moved by the death of activist Charlie Kirk to set aside past differences, a gesture underscored at Kirk’s funeral by their public handshake. A lip reader told reporters that Trump appeared to tell Musk he had missed him since their falling-out.
The two were seen together in a box at State Farm Stadium in Arizona on Sunday, where an estimated 78,000 people gathered to honor the slain Turning Point USA co-founder.
Both Musk and the White House later posted photos of the reunion with the same caption: “For Charlie.”
Lip reader Nicola Hickling informed the Daily Mail that Trump began the conversation by warmly greeting the Tesla billionaire, asking, “How are you doing?” as they took their seats next to each other.
“So Elon, I’ve heard you wanted to chat,” Trump then apparently said before adding, “Let’s try and work out how to get back on track.”
When Musk nodded, Hickling said Trump appeared to add, “I’ve missed you.”
In December, both met for dinner at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, marking a full public reconciliation after months of pointed disagreements between the two figures.
Trump confirmed the dinner in remarks to reporters, describing the meeting as cordial. Musk also acknowledged the encounter on social media, signaling a thaw in tensions that had previously played out publicly through interviews and online exchanges.
Musk has also resumed funding GOP political candidates.
