Trump Announces New Global Tariff After Supreme Court Ruling

President Donald Trump said Friday he is deeply disappointed by the Supreme Court’s decision striking down a major portion of his tariff plan. The president said the ruling would put the United States at a disadvantage as he seeks to recalibrate global trade.

However, Trump said he is moving forward by invoking Section 122 authority to impose a 10 percent global baseline tariff, The Washington Times reported. “We’re going forward. We’ll be able to take in more money,” Trump said.

Section 122 allows presidents to impose temporary tariffs for up to 150 days to address trade deficits, unless Congress extends the action.

Trump said his administration is also conducting investigations under other statutory authorities to impose tariffs for national security purposes or to correct trade imbalances.

In a 6-3 decision, the Supreme Court ruled that Trump overstepped his authority by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to impose blanket tariffs on individual nations.

“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country,” Trump said during a White House press briefing.

Trump praised Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh for dissenting in his favor.

He sharply criticized the liberal justices as automatic “no” votes.

He added that he at least respected what he described as their consistency, an apparent criticism of conservative justices who joined the majority.

Last year, Trump imposed tariffs ranging from 10 percent to 50 percent on goods from various countries.

Small businesses and several states challenged the tariffs, arguing the administration unlawfully relied on IEEPA authority. They ultimately prevailed before the Supreme Court.

Trump said foreign trading partners are likely celebrating the decision. “They’re dancing in the streets,” he said. “But they won’t be dancing for long.” Trump also criticized what he described as the ruling’s structure.

Under the decision, he said, a president could cut off trade entirely but could not impose a single dollar in tariffs under IEEPA.

At the same time, Trump suggested he may have been better served by using other legal authorities from the outset.

“Now, I’ll go the way I could have gone originally,” Trump said. “It’s a little bit longer process. I thought I’d make things simple, but they didn’t let us do that.”

The administration said it will continue pursuing alternative legal avenues to maintain its broader tariff strategy.

The ruling represents a significant setback for Trump’s economic agenda, which has relied heavily on tariffs.

The president suggested the court’s decision may have been influenced by outside forces.

“It’s my opinion that the court has been swayed by foreign interests and a political movement that is far smaller than people would ever think,” Trump said, according to The Guardian.

When pressed for details, Trump told reporters, “You’re going to find out,” according to Politico.

“I think that foreign interests are represented by people that I believe have undue influence,” he added, according to NBC News. “They have a lot of influence over the Supreme Court, whether it’s through fear or respect or friendships, I don’t know.”

Trump also criticized what he described as “the other side.”

“But I know some of the people who were involved on the other side, and I don’t like them,” he said. “I think they’re real slimeballs.”

The Trump administration has indicated it will pursue alternative legal avenues to continue its tariff policies.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas sounded off in his dissent.

“Neither the statutory text nor the Constitution provides a basis for ruling against the President. Congress authorized the President to ‘regulate . . . importation.’ Throughout American history, the authority to ‘regulate importation’ has been understood to include the authority to impose duties on imports,” Thomas declared.

Leave a Comment