Drive By Shooting Targets Republican While Family Inside Home

Multiple gunshots struck the home of Mecklenburg County Board of Commissioners candidate Aaron R. Marin Monday night while he and his family were inside, according to a statement he released Tuesday morning.

Marin, a Republican running for the District 1 seat in 2026, said the shots were “intentionally directed only at our house” as he was home with his wife and their two young sons in Huntersville.

“Last night, while I was running again for County Commissioner, our home was struck by multiple gunshots. The shots were intentionally directed only at our house,” Marin wrote. “At the time, I was inside with my wife and our two young sons. By God’s grace, we are all safe and unharmed — but as a husband and father, there are no words to describe the shock of hearing gunfire directed at your home.”

Marin said the Huntersville Police Department responded quickly, along with crime scene investigators. Authorities have not released information about potential suspects, the number of rounds fired, or whether any arrests have been made.

“We are deeply shaken and stunned that something like this could happen in Huntersville — the community where we are raising our family and have always believed to be safe and strong,” Marin wrote.

Police have not publicly detailed the extent of the damage to the home or whether neighboring properties were affected. Investigators have also not confirmed whether they are treating the shooting as politically motivated. The case remains under active investigation.

Marin said he would not speculate about who may be responsible or why, citing the ongoing investigation. “Out of respect for the ongoing investigation, we will refrain from speculation and allow law enforcement to complete their work,” he wrote.

The District 1 seat on the Mecklenburg County Commission represents a significant portion of the county, including Huntersville and surrounding areas. Marin is currently the only Republican candidate in the 2026 race. He previously ran for the seat in 2024, losing to Democrat Elaine Powell.

Despite the incident, Marin said he remains committed to his campaign and public service.

“I will not be intimidated. My commitment to serving Mecklenburg County and protecting our community remains stronger than ever,” he wrote. He also thanked those who had reached out with support and prayers in the hours after the shooting.

Marin emphasized that violence has no place in politics or in the broader community.

“Violence has no place in our community or in our political process. Differences must be resolved peacefully, through dialogue and the democratic process — not through violence,” he said.

The shooting comes at a time of heightened national concern over threats and acts of violence targeting political figures and candidates. In recent years, elected officials and challengers at local, state, and federal levels have reported increased harassment, threats and security incidents, sometimes requiring additional protective measures.

While authorities have not indicated a motive in this case, experts have warned that an increasingly polarized political climate, amplified by social media and intense campaign rhetoric, can heighten risks for candidates and public officials. Law enforcement agencies across the country have urged communities to report suspicious activity and to reject violence as a means of political expression.

As of Tuesday, no further details had been released by investigators regarding leads, surveillance footage, or forensic evidence. The Huntersville Police Department has not announced whether additional patrols will be conducted in the area.

For now, Marin says his focus remains on his family’s safety and continuing his campaign.

“We are grateful for the swift response and the professionalism of our local law enforcement,” he wrote. “Thank you to everyone who has reached out with support and prayers.”

Leave a Comment