Authorities in Minneapolis are continuing to investigate the tragic mass shooting at Annunciation Catholic Church, which left two children dead and at least 18 others wounded, most of them between the ages of six and fourteen. However, investigators say the mother of the accused shooter has so far declined to cooperate with their inquiries.
Shooter’s Mother Retains Criminal Attorney
According to Fox News, the shooter’s mother, Mary Grace Westman, has hired well-known defense attorney Ryan Garry. When asked why his client sought legal representation so quickly, Garry explained that Westman is overwhelmed by the situation but maintains she has no role in the crime.
“She is completely distraught about the situation and has no culpability,” Garry told reporters. “But she is seeking an attorney to handle inquiries and protect her rights.”
Police: No Cooperation Yet from Shooter’s Mother
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara confirmed on Thursday that investigators have interviewed many people connected to the suspect, including relatives, coworkers, and witnesses from the church. However, efforts to speak directly with the shooter’s mother have not been successful.
“I know we have not been successful in talking to the shooter’s mother at this time,” O’Hara said at a press conference. “But there continue to be efforts made to get that done.”
Family Background Under Scrutiny
Court records show that in 2019, Mary Grace Westman filed a petition for her child to legally change their name, noting that the then-minor identified as female and wanted the legal record to match their identity. Authorities have not commented on whether this has any connection to the current investigation.
The accused gunman has been identified as 23-year-old Robin Westman. Police say they are still trying to determine whether Westman lived with one of his parents prior to the attack. Three separate residences have been linked to the suspect, though investigators have not confirmed which one was his primary address.
“I can’t verify right now which residence he was staying at immediately before the shooting,” Chief O’Hara said. “That is something that will be clarified as the investigation continues.”
Shooter’s Father Has Spoken with Authorities
When asked whether investigators had contacted the shooter’s father, O’Hara initially declined to confirm. Moments later, however, he conferred with Drew Evans, the head of the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, who confirmed that detectives have interviewed the father.
Community in Mourning
The shooting occurred during a Mass to mark the beginning of the school year. Witnesses say the attacker opened fire from outside the church, shattering windows and striking parishioners seated in pews. Authorities confirmed that 15 children were among the wounded, with several remaining in critical condition at area hospitals.
Chief O’Hara added that the suspect had previously attended services at the same church, though investigators have not disclosed whether he had any personal grievances tied to the parish.
As the investigation continues, police are urging the community to remain patient and allow law enforcement to piece together what led to the devastating attack.