Attorney General Pam Bondi announced on Tuesday that Luigi Mangione, the alleged CEO killer, will face the death penalty from the Justice Department.
If Mangione is found guilty of capital murder, Bondi said she will order Matthew Podolsky, the acting US attorney for the Southern District of New York, to pursue the death penalty in the case.
Mangione is charged both state and federally for allegedly shooting Brian Thompson, the CEO of UnitedHealthcare, in Midtown Manhattan in December. Regarding the state charges, he entered a not guilty plea. Mangione was charged in a federal criminal complaint but has not yet been indicted on those charges.
Karen Friedman Agnifilo, Mangione’s lawyer, has stated that she discussed the ruling with the Justice Department.
“Luigi Mangione’s murder of Brian Thompson — an innocent man and father of two young children — was a premeditated, cold-blooded assassination that shocked America. After careful consideration, I have directed federal prosecutors to seek the death penalty in this case as we carry out President Trump’s agenda to stop violent crime and Make America Safe Again,” Bondi said in a statement.
“As alleged, Luigi Mangione stalked and murdered UnitedHealthcare executive Brian Thompson on Dec. 4, 2024. The murder was an act of political violence. Mangione’s actions involved substantial planning and premeditation, and because the murder took place in public with bystanders nearby, may have posed grave risk of death to additional persons. Following federal murder charges handed down on Dec. 19, 2024, Attorney General Bondi has now directed Acting U.S. Attorney Matthew Podolsky to seek the death penalty in this case,” the DOJ said in a press release.
Bondi has been busy this week.
The Department of Justice has charged a man with bombing a Tesla dealership and is seeking a 20-year prison sentence, according to a report.
Bondi announced that suspect Cooper Frederick has been charged with firebombing a Tesla dealership on March 7 in Loveland, Colorado. The FBI pursued the suspect, who was arrested in Plano, Texas, the Washington Examiner reported.
“I’ve made it clear: If you take part in the wave of domestic terrorism against Tesla properties, we will find you, arrest you, and put you behind bars,” she said. “Today, I am proud to announce that the Department of Justice has unsealed federal charges against another Tesla attacker. All of these cases are a serious threat to public safety; therefore, there will be no negotiating.”
“Let this be a warning: You can run, but you cannot hide. Justice is coming,” Bondi noted further.
The attorney general warned earlier this month that she would begin charging vandals who damage Tesla vehicles with domestic terrorism, bringing the first three suspects to face these charges on March 20.
“The swarm of violent attacks on Tesla property is nothing short of domestic terrorism. The Department of Justice has already charged several perpetrators with that in mind, including in cases that involve charges with five-year mandatory minimum sentences,” a statement from Bondi on March 18 said.
“We will continue investigations that impose severe consequences on those involved in these attacks, including those operating behind the scenes to coordinate and fund these crimes,” the statement added.
Tesla vehicles, charging stations, and dealerships have come under attack in recent weeks, with incidents ranging from graffiti vandalism to firebombings. The wave of attacks follows growing outrage from left-wing activists over Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s prominent involvement in the Trump administration.
Republicans have condemned the violence as domestic terrorism and are advocating for its prosecution as such. The FBI has recently launched a task force to investigate instances of vandalism against Tesla.
Tesla’s stock has dropped by 40% in the past year. It peaked at over $428 per share before Trump’s inauguration in January but is currently sitting at $259 as of Monday.
Musk, who is spearheading the Trump administration’s contentious attempts to reduce federal agencies through the Department of Government Efficiency and the federal government’s workforce, has been the target of protests at Tesla showrooms.
The FBI warned the public over the weekend to be on the lookout for any indications of a potential attack on Tesla dealerships or entities associated with Tesla, such as people monitoring or attempting to enter Tesla properties or threatening the company online.
In a post on X, FBI Assistant Director for Public Affairs Ben Williamson stated that the new task force will investigate anti-Tesla attacks in collaboration with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. “This is domestic terrorism. Those responsible will be pursued, caught, and brought to justice,” FBI Director Kash Patel said.